6/20/10

1st Garden update

Gardening in Spokane can be a challenge, especially with the weird wet weather we have had this spring. The late frosts we had set everything back a bit and we have been having problems getting our lettuce and squash seeds to germinate. I am keeping my finger's crossed for an Indian summer!

So finally...I have something to show you all in my garden :) Our yard is not large enough or gets enough sun to have all of the garden in just one spot, so we have several beds spread out to take advantage of what space and sunlight we do have. This is bed #1, the Salad Garden.


The Peas are doing great and have started blooming! We also have Broccoli Rabe, Broccoli, lettuce, Arugula and New Zealand Spinach as well as the Raspberry patch in this bed. The Spinach is a total no show - and the lettuce isn't doing so great either so I am just going to plant more lettuce in the spot I planted Spinach. That big black box in the photo is our Compost Maker and it's great! By the end of the summer, we should have enough home made organic compost to spread on all the beds. The little fence around it is to keep my mom's dog out of it, we don't want to eat salad stuff he peed on!


Bed #2: The Tomatoes. We have 8 and they are doing really well. Though, I don't know what I am going to be getting, I started both Cherry and Big Boy tomatoes from seed but somewhere along the line forgot which were which so I might get some of both or a bunch of either. They are planted in a 3 tiered box on a slope that faces west and gets full sun all afternoon.

Bed #3: The squash. This bed is directly left of the tomato box. This year we planted Golden Acorn and Delicata winter squashes. I had to purchase the plants because again, for what ever reason, the seeds I planted did not come up. I found beautiful organic starts at Judy's Enchanted Garden . We laid down black weed blocking material and old straw to mulch with and keep the weeds down. The other spots will get the same treatment as soon as the plants are big enough and we get a few nice days to pull the weeds that are already growing.


Bed #4: The Green Beans!
We planted both Bush and Pole beans again this year and since we dedicated the whole spot to them, we will have plenty to freeze and can for the winter!

8 comments:

Kristine_in_WA said...

Your garden is looking good! It sure is a weird spring though for the garden. Hoping that the coming week kicks things in gear for us.

Laura said...

I just found your blog, and so far it's been really helpful! I was just wondering if you had a recommendation for an affordable nursery here in town. I had a lot of seedlings this year that just didn't "take," so I'm going to have buy some replacements. Thanks!

Laura said...

Hi, Leah, sorry for the confusion! I started my blog on a whim a couple years ago and never bothered to take it down. We're now living in Spokane, not Montana. :-) I'm also wary of buy plants at places like Home Depot, so I appreciate the recommendation. Thanks! :-)inteom

Leah said...

It's been a wierd year for seeds. I have never had this problem before. At first I thought it was because I was using some seeds that I had purchased a few years ago but then it happened with new seeds too. I am planting more lettuce again as soon as the soil dries out enough to walk in the garden areas. BTW, the General Store has seeds for .08c per packet :)

The Frugal Life of A Mom said...

I am jealous of your garden. It looks sooooo good. I am a little relieved to hear that it wasn't just me and my lack of gardening ways that my seeds didn't turn out very well. I have been buying plants here and there. I just wanted to share with you all that I bought some plants last weekend, Saturday, June 19th, at Big R on Trent. They had some really nice lookin' plants. I think the most I paid was $1.29. They had their tomato plants on closeout prices, so they were an additional 25% off. Some of the cheapest were $0.99 plus an additional 25% off. Thanks again for sharing an update on your garden. :)

Laura said...

How funny! I was also thinking it was just me and I'd gotten bad seeds this year. What a weird coincidence. Looks like I'm heading to the Big R! ;-)

Leah said...

I am also glad to hear that it isn't just my garden. I think its been a lack of sunny days that are stunting the gardens this year. I saw on the news that the wheat farmers are also having problems because the soil temps are not high enough - due to lack of sunshine - for the wheat to germinate. But hey, the weeds are doing great :)~

suckerpunchdebt said...

I'm just working on a post for our garden! I should have it up tonight. Our tomatoes look so so, but we are actually eating lettuce, radish and a bit of broccoli. Just picked them last night. I like how you have your garden organized! This is all new to me, and I'm having a ball!