10/18/09

Meal Planning Monday






This week, our meal plan is based on eating out of our Pantry and Freezer. We have a ton of Chicken that needs to be used up to make room.



I, by no means, should be considered somekind of fabulous cook, and my cooking style isn't etched in stone. Over the years, I have developed a "method" of cooking, that being fast, easy, what I have on hand and what taste good to my family, so I pretty much look at recipes as guide lines...guide lines for ingredients that work well together.



So, outside of baking, my recipes are simply suggestions for foods and ingredients that my family will eat and I have found work well for us. That being said, I encourage you to mix it up! Add ingredients, remove ingredients, refine my suggestions to your own taste. And, if you want to share your delish creation, please leave a comment or email me, I would be thrilled to try and share your versions of my suggestions. The best recipes are the ones that look, smell and taste good to you, and ones that the people you are feeding will actually eat. So run with it :)



Monday


Tuesday




Wednesday
Thurday



  • Pizza Nite!!
Friday


Saturday



  • Left Over Round Up - Yeehaww!
Sunday



  • BBQ Country Style Pork Ribs - cooked in our Electric Pressure Cooker, I will try to remember to take photos and post a tutorial for this awesome cooking device :)

  • Corn Casserole

  • Garden Green Beans


4 comments:

Victoria said...

I am curious about the pressure cooker! :)

Unknown said...

I notice you post your monthly grocery shopping expenses and savings.
Do you recommend that families stockpile and then create small budgets?

Leah said...

Hi Victoria,

I love my electric pressure cooker, and I can't wait to show it off! It is the most awesome and clever cooking device :)

Hi Rona,

I don't know that I should be considered qualified to make recommendations on how others spend their money.

What works for us is to periodically spend more than what we try to limit our weekly budget at in order to build our stockpile, like this week with the flour. I know that is an item that we will be using, it keeps well and wont go to waste, so in the long run it is cheaper for us to purchase it now, when it is sale and we have good coupons, as opposed to being forced to buy it when it is not on sale and we cannot find coupons for it either.

We purchased 20 lbs of flour today, considerably more then we will use in the next week, and it put us a bit over our weekly limit, but it is enough to get us through the year, when it traditionally goes on sale again.

Which means, over the next weeks and months, we will have a little extra in the food budget for things we can't find on sale or have coupons for, like fresh produce and dairy. I dont know if that really answers your question. I hope it helps though :)

Lindsay said...

Let me know how you like the Cornbread Chicken Bake! :)